Feed your libido
Are you ready for some loving? Follow these dietary tips, you'll be buzzing with sexual energy.
1. Get Dripping with WatermelonWith over 90% water content, this sweet and hydrating fruit is known to stimulate the libido. Rich in vitamins and minerals, this tasty treat boosts energy and longevity.
2. Feast on FigsDelicious and juicy figs have the special power to enhance the secretion of pheromones, a chemical we produce, that can trigger sexual arousal in our partner. Figs have also been shown to increase sexual stamina and boost fertility. Fun Fact: They were Cleopatra’s favorite too!
3. Seduce with CeleryI bet you didn’t think of celery as the sexiest of vegetables. Interestingly enough celery is a natural pheromone producer for men, which has a seductive effect on women. You heard it guys! Go and munch on some of those green stalks! You can also juice them or chop them up in your salad.
4. Go Hard on GreensOxygenate your body with tender and dark leafy greens, like romaine, iceberg lettuce, kale, or spinach. These green vegetables promote blood oxygenation, which means improved organ function. That means all organs, ladies and gentlemen, including the sexual ones!
5. Get Creamy with AvocadosWho doesn’t love avocados? This creamy and dreamy fruit is high in healthy plant fats and is beneficial in maintaining a balanced sexual drive. Avocados are also great male hormone boosters. No wonder they're shaped like testicles!
6. Soak your NutsNuts and seeds are an excellent complement to a healthy diet. Brazil nuts are known to increase fertility and improve sexual health because of their high selenium content. In order to take advantage of the nutritional benefits that nuts and seeds offer, it is best to soak them in water at least 6 hours beforehand. The soaking process reduces phytic acid and neutralizes enzyme inhibitors. Ready to grab those nuts?
7. Go Crazy with DurianThis special exotic fruit is quite polarizing – people either hate it or love it on account of its prominent scent, but delicious and unique taste. The spiky Asian fruit is believed to make sex more enjoyable. If you are up for a sensuous adventure, devouring on a durian is a risk worth taking. Why not give it a try?
8. You Booze, You LoseWhile it might seem very sensual to sip on a Martini or champagne with your partner, overdoing it on alcohol can actually lead to undesired results in the bedroom. Alcohol consumption decreases sexual performance and is definitely a libido killer. Sobriety is a charmer!
9. Ditch the Junk FoodIngredients you cannot pronounce or recognize do not belong in your body. Sodas, processed bakery goods, and fast foods are full of synthetic and genetically modified components, refined sugar, and trans fats that are highly detrimental to your health. These ingredients can cause mood swings and depression, and will in no way enhance your sexual prowess.
10. Love it Meaty? Think again.High-protein and high-fat meats are extremely hard for our bodies to break down. Spending so much time and bodily energy on digestion leaves us precious little resources for lovemaking or any other physical activities.
Diets high in animal-based food are also high in cholesterol, saturated fat, and toxins, which impair blood flow and can clog arteries. That doesn't sound like a happy ending to me!
Artwork by Julia Nefedove exclusively for Hegre.com